Ukama Family Of 4 Hand Carved In Zimbabwe
“Ukama" is the Shona word for 'close family relationship'. Central to Shona culture is the support and success of the family. Success is not measured by material wealth, but by the accomplishment of creating a loving and supportive family environment full of health and happiness. This family sculpture portrays the bond of support between parents and their children. The arms are united to shield them from outside adversity while at the same time enabling them to express their love and closeness to each other.
This African art form is known as Shona sculpture because it is hand carved by the Shona people of Zimbabwe. The Shona people have been hand sculpting stone into works of art for nearly a thousand years. Even though the craft is ancient, the style has continually evolved and the carvings created today are both beautiful and elegant.The contemporary, yet eternal, shape of these sculptures bring splendor to the home and compliments any decor. The themes these sculptures portray represent esteemed values in the Shona culture of family,love, life and nature.
- Approximately 12"H x 3" W x 4" L
- Hand-crafted item - color, size an.5/or motif may vary slightly
- Hand Made in Zimbabwe.
The product(s) you receive might vary slightly from the product picture due to the nature of your product(s) being 100% handmade.
The beauty of imperfections:
- Please understand that all the African artwork in our store is handmade, and handmade items, by nature, have imperfections. Although our artists are thorough, there are inconsistencies based on the creative nature, each item will look a little different from the next.
- Our items have natural and unique imperfections. Our items are handmade and produced in Africa and the creation process is genuine and full of love and care.
- Any item you purchase is one of a kind. There are no two items in our store that are exactly the same. Even if the art piece is handmade by the same artist or stone lot, the unique patterning of colors will always make each item beautifully different.
- Our sculptures are sold As Is.